Monday 2 December 2013


"I should have personal connection with the object. When I'm looking for an object, I will find something that has aesthetic appeal. I have to get excited about it." 




Interview:

Rachel Deas, upcycle designer


Rachel Deas is a fresh new upcycle designer that concentrates in producing innovative lighting design from old objects. She studied Jewellery and Metal Design course at Duncan of Jordanstone school of Art.


Why are you interested in doing upcycling?

"I do upcycling because I want to preserve the design, to protect the design before completely forgotten... I take objects that I find attractive, but has lost its value."


How is the market response?

"Upcycling is very fashionable right now. It is about saving environment and people know that it is what needs to be done right now. At the moment upcycling definitely is a prime thing and there is a market for it. In the future maybe will be mass produced but I will still keep my bespoke piece."

What is the downside of upcycling?

"Resources. A lot of time spent to find the right object and time is money."




No comments:

Post a Comment